Saturday, August 28, 2010

Saturday evening disaster!

Did you ever have the experience of going to preach, and mid way you ask yourself "what in the name of God am I saying?" All you want to do say is "We stand for the Creed!!!" Such was mine this evening. To my credit, I suppose, I was in another parish supplying, so I was out of my natural habitat, but still and all, it was one of my most disappointing attempts at breaking the Word.

I suppose God can make good with what seems to be a disaster, and I hope the poor ones in the pew will get what they need. All I could think of, as the sweat rolled down my back..."Is this the best a guy who has set himself up as a preaching blogger can do"!

Anyway, self pity aside.  I had intended to talk about Hebrews in a deeper way. I find that reading so magical. What we have come to! Not what we are going to to, but what we have come to. It reminds me of the office reading for St Augustine's  feast....God has found us! And when we breath in his love we pant for his peace. (cf The Confessions)

1 comment:

  1. I've had quite a few of those in my time. I call them "wading through treacle" sermons. You know the congregation is out there but there feels like no connection at all. Sometimes they shock you though. I've had people come up to me after some of the most dreadful talks (from my perspective) who have told me how much they were moved / challenged / inspired by what was said. You are only the musical instrument, God is the one that plays you and what might sound like cacophony to you will be the music that someone else needs to hear.

    ReplyDelete